Posted on Leave a comment


The fire parasol was one of those things that kinda sat on the back burner for quite a while. It’s always been a problem getting ahold of an all-metal body for fire tools of this nature. But I never imagined how popular this tool would get. So, I never made it a real priority until there was pretty much an actual order for it.

So, like I said, the problem with most umbrella bodies is that they have plastic parts at the hub.  So, even if you’re very careful to use only small wicks and keep them far away from the hub, there’s still a good chance that they’ll heat things up enough to cause the whole assembly to fall apart in just a few uses.  This produced the need.

I got inspiration for the construction of the hub from a beach umbrella.  But it took me a while to get it all figured out. First, we had to build an 8-sided hinge. Next, it had to be all metal. Then, we played with buttons for a while, and they had two real problems. First, they are vulnerable to heat, all springs are, so they slowly fail over time. Second they require a certain kind of precision that isn’t really necessary for this tool. Ultimately, we just learned how to make them metastable, so there’s no hard stop buttons it just stays open. Now they very much resemble bamboo parasols from china.

Leave a Reply